Thursday, December 27, 2012

Our sweet Jaedin

When I became a parent, I didn't know what I was doing. It was ALL new. And unknown. I honestly question myself every single day. I hope & pray that I'm making good choices and a positive impact in my children's life. I try to be a good role model and teach them how to be caring, thoughtful and giving. 
Jaedin taught me. She taught me how to give. She taught me how to be unselfish. She taught me how to make a difference. I am SO proud to be her mom. I can't even describe how my heart feels when I think about what she did.

To make a long story short, one Sunday morning Jaedin was talking to us about her approaching 9th birthday. We were "planning" her skating party. Out of nowhere, she said she wanted her friends to donate to those affected by Hurricane Sandy instead of bringing her birthday presents. What?!?! At that moment, I could've let the tears flow. So very proud of her heart. We talked about it and made a plan. Little did we know what would happen from there.

At the party, Jaedin collected $420 from friends. The mother of one classmate had her company match their donation. That got us thinking. Do other companies do that? Jaedin and I brainstormed other businesses and friends that might be willing to help with her wish.

When it was all said & done, Jaedin collected $1200 to donate to the American Red Cross in Topeka. We were invited to their annual meeting and treated so very special while we there. We were completely blown away with Jaedin's impromptu speech and sweetness. 

Jaedin giving her speech...that made us all tear up!

Smiles filled the room!


Nana and Cindy came to cheer Jaedin on too!

Jaedin was interviewed by the Valley Falls Vindicator.
Jaedin was showcased on WIBW Good Kids.
Jaedin was on the cover of the Lawrence Journal World.
KSNT & WIBW were both at her presentation & showed news clips multiple times.


Needless to say, she felt pretty special & beyond proud of her actions. She also already has her wish for next year planned out.

1 comment:

  1. This is so touching! What a wonderful little girl you have, Brandi! I am in awe! :)

    ReplyDelete